Angelica root (Angelica archangelica)
Angelica root is my number one oil, I love the fragrance and I love the oil’s healing power. The fragrance is earthy and sweet, sharp and penetrative, with a touch of spice and a hint of green, plus a musky, river bottom undertone. The complexity of its bouquet tells us that Angelica root has a wide range of actions and connects with all 5 elements.
One of Angelica’s strongest energetic properties is protection, allowing us to feel secure enough to connect with physical or emotional parts of ourselves we have cut off through trauma or fear. Angelica opens the way to healing, and gives a feeling of lightness and strength as it roots us to the ground and uplifts our spirits.
More often than not animals only want to smell angelica, using it as an energy medicine, unless they have been severly depleted either physically or emotionally, then they may want a few licks. Less is definitely more with this oil.
On a physical level use Angelica root for:
- Strengthening the heart and stimulating circulation
- A restorative for any general weakness such as anaemia
- Tonic for the digestive system, good for those with ‘nervous tummies’.
- A diuretic and a detoxifier for all the organs of elimination, improves lymph drainage, making it useful for arthritis.
- Animals who have shut down due to chronic pain or stress,
- Immune stimulant, especially for those run down by a long illness or convalescing
- Loss of appetite, including anorexia,
- Stress-related digestive disorders
- Lymphatic and circulatory problems, including arthritis
- Liver dysfunction
- Cushing’s syndrome and other metabolic disorders
- Chronic bronchial disorders
On an emotional level Angelica root:
- Opens the heart to healing, useful for animals who have ‘switched off’ through abuse of trust
- Soothes ragged nerves and hysteric tendencies especially in mares.
- Reconnects you with the innocence of childhood
- Relieves fear or anger that arises from a trauma in early childhood
- Calms nervous aggression
- Relaxes and strengthens
Actions: Antifungal, antispasmodic, antitoxic, bactericidal, carminative, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, general tonic, neurotonic.
Safety: Non-toxic, non-irritant. Angelica Root oil can be photo-toxic when applied to skin undiluted, avoid exposure to sun for 12 hours after topical application. Avoid use in diabetes.
- Animals who show irrational fears, especially if this started after a traumatic incident in early life
- Old animals who are emotionally hardened or have on-going physical pain
- Those who are insecure in themselves and prone to illness
- If an animal shows no interest in any of the oils offered to it